On my way to Memphis, I stopped in at Loretta Lynn's Kitchen and Gift Shop
I don't know what all of this is, but I did recognize the overcooked green beans. I was afraid to try most of it. I did find one other vegetable...three broccoli florets by the "salad bar." the salad bar was primarily iceberg lettuce, cucumbers and a tiny bit of broccoli. One redeeming factor in all of this mystery goo is the some of the best fried chicken I ever had. (Not shown)
Yes, they really sell this at the gift shop.
I saw this coming into Memphis. Am I approaching the Luxor in Las Vegas? Nope. This pyramid is related to the Egyptian pyramids. Memphis is believed to be the etymological origin of Egypt. It will soon house the biggest "Bass Pro Shop" in the nation. You will be able to go fishing inside as well as stay in cabins! It used to be the sports arena.
Sad but true. I sent this to my friend Will at Granada High School. I have to say, they grow them big here, and lots of them.
Here at the West Memphis KOA (actually located in Marion, Arkansas). This is Bob, Regina and Jordan. Great place to stay, beautiful pool and lovely clean facilities. I was referred to this campground for Ms. Regina's famous pancakes. Well, they are deeee-licious.
This is Duchess, the driver for the Blues City Tours. She and I were friends the minute we met. She picked me up at the KOA and was a delightful tour guide for the downtown Memphis tour. She really took care of us today...at one point, the tour bus broke down and another one showed up in about 20 minutes. Amazing. The tour continued.
Aren't many of us tall and strong because Wonder Bread helps build bodies 12 ways? Wasn't that the promise? Why am I so short?
Sun Studio where Elvis and the greats of Memphis recorded albums
This is so cool. This is the Peabody Hotel. Ducks, real ducks, live in a penthouse area and every day at 11:00 a.m. they come down the elevator (with their trainer) march down the red carpet and hop right into the fountain and swim around. At precisely 5:00 p.m., they hop out, go back onto the red carpet and right into the elevator for their ride up to their penthouse abode. It was really fun to see.
Danny Thomas' St.Jude Children's Research Hospital. Kids from over 400 countries are brought here and there is never a bill. It costs about 1.9 million to run this place per day and they do it all on donations. 100% of the purchases from the gift shop nearby are applied to the hospital, so I spent about $100.00 there. I bought the first three seasons of "That Girl" on DVD. That will keep me busy. I love Marlo Thomas!
This my friends, is a bug. Please, if there are any entomologists out there, please identify. Giant Cicada perhaps?
They call this the Dolly Parton Bridge - ha ha
Donated by Russian visitors. A Faberge' type egg for the city.
The King of the Blues.....B.B. King
The King of Rock n' Roll.....I love Elvis
Cool Monorail that goes to a man-made park...Mud Island
Very sad. The Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. There is a wreath right there on the spot it happened.
Jacqueline Smith sits in silent protest every day in front of the motel.. Smith is a former motel employee who once lived there. She is protesting the decision to remodel it into a museum in honor of Dr. King, who was assassinated on April 4, 1968. Smith has maintained a vigil across the street from the Lorraine Motel for up to 21 hours per day for over 20 years, regardless of weather. She still holds vigil outside the Lorraine, although not as consistently as she has in the past. I saw her today and we waved and she happily waved back.
Believe it or not...Memphis finally named a street after MLK, Jr. only two years ago! Most every city in the nation has one. That is so strange.
This is Dave from Canburra, Australia. He was on the tour as well. We had lunch together and he has been traveling the world for 18 months on a motorcycle. He had great stories. He finds a way to transport his motorcycle wherever he goes.
Great live music at this Beale Street restaurant called "Flynn's". This is me and a great guitar player named Chris Gale.
Here are some scenes on Beale Street....
I couldn't get the whole sign in the shot. Okay we get it. It says, "Don't leave kids in hot cars, look before you lock". Wow. Duh.
GRACELAND!
One of Elvis' airplanes, the Lisa Marie
This is Willie Lee from Tennessee. He is a great guy and Blues City Tours ROCKS!!!! He dropped me off right next my RV back at the campground. Thank you Willie Lee!
Today was not just hot, but about 100 degrees and really high humidity. This is the temperature of the inside of the RV when I returned at 6:00! Turned on the A/C and went for a walk so it could cool off. Wow!!!
Off to Little Rock, Arkansas tomorrow. Amazing day. Stayed hydrated and saw the KINGS.
Love,
Laurie


Wow, Wow and WOW... Great Pics and captions! Rennie and I stayed at that west Memphis KOA.. one night.. came in late.. had to set up tent ASAP and jump in as the State Bird was Swarming Us.. Never seen anything like it.. Stay away from Bill tomorrow!! XOXOXO
ReplyDeleteYou have so many great pictures and some very funny quips!
ReplyDelete