Sunday, August 3, 2014

NY to CT

New York was amazing and the last leg of the trip was as beautiful as the rest.  I traveled from Fallsburg, NY to North Branford, CT today, which is near New Haven.  I am nearing the point of seeing the Atlantic Ocean!

At the nice campsite in Fallsburg, I was in awe of my surroundings.  This is after I tried not one, but two attempts at settling in at other campsites at this campground/RV park.  The first one had a huge group of partying 20-somethings drinking beer and listening to loud rap music. Ugh.  The campsite smoke was overwhelming too.  I called the office and they gave me a new site that was bumpy and on a 20-degree angle, with my tail end going down a hill toward a big creek, not good.  Okay, so I walked down the road and found this site and told them.....I'm moving here.....thanks!  Last site on the road, no close neighbors and I have my own private forest. Wow.


      Here is Gnomey, happy to finally land at a site....well, he immediately climbed a tree and got
      in the picture just as I was taking it.  Oh Gnomey, you are too funny.

 
 This is my view from the RV....the sun was shining through the trees this morning and it was magical.

 
 
 LOOK on the ground in front of Gnomey!  Gnomey found a friend!  An orange salamander...could be a newt, but I believe, based on my extensive internet research, that this is a Northern Spring Salamander (Gyrinophilus p. porphyriticus) - say that three times fast!


Habitat: Semi-Aquatic. Prefers cool and clear mountain streams and springs, and sometimes damp caves. Occasionally they are found under streamside debris or on land during rain. They prefer higher elevations.
Food: Carnivorous. Worms, insects and their larvae, spiders, small frogs and other salamanders.  DOES NOT EAT GNOMES! No worries Gnomey.

 
The salamander rested on a leaf and Gnomey tried to be friends....but his friend decided to run.
I was surprised how fast it could go. I'm sure it was scared.
 
 
 
Well, almost to Massachusetts.  I will try to get an appointment for an oil change at a specialty place that handles Dodge Sprinter vans and stay awhile here in Branford. I don't mind, it is nice here.  The weather is great.  I must be getting used to humidity!!  Well, at least it cools down in the evening.
 
Love,
 
Laurie
 
p.s.  My cousin Cynthia's granddaughter Aliyah  gave me a cool stretchy bracelet and I want her to see my hula girl's new skirt accessory.  This is my hula girl.  She dances while I am driving. The flowers move on solar power (super-duper dollar store find). :-)  Thanks for the bracelet Aliyah!!! It looks like a pretty lei. Mahalo.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment