Saturday, August 16, 2014

Feelin' vay Suthun'


It was tough to leave, but before I left Virginia Beach, I stopped in at the Association for Research and Enlightenment. (ARE) founded by Edgar Cayce.  Very interesting place.  I could have spent days in this place.  They have lectures, an awesome library and a spa.

 

Meditation Garden

The Labyrinth/Meditation Walk

Virginia has a lot of ham....and peanuts.  Ham shops galore and peanut stands everywhere.

 
Here is the welcoming committee at the KOA in Enfield, North Carolina.  This was so amusing to me.  I would totally do something like this and crack myself up.  They are very quiet and don't cause any trouble.

You can stay in a teepee at this KOA...no guarantees to keep bugs out though.  I am glad I am in an RV.  I still have about seven whopper mosquito bites. Ugh.

 
Here are my neighbors Lisa and Tony from Maryland.  Their boys Joe and Jacob were with them, but they are inside sleeping in at the time this photo was taken. They were so nice and invited me over to eat dinner with them last night.  I brought my dinner over and a couple of beers as a host/hostess gift.  I drank one too.  We all agreed, the beer was really strong but really good.  It's the beer I bought at the Dogfish Head Brewery in Rehoboth Beach.  It's called Burton Baton, an oak-aged imperial India pale ale. 10% alcohol by volume...no wonder we all felt it!  I have been invited to stop in and see them next time I am in Maryland.  Perhaps when Jennifer and the boys move back to the U.S.A.

 
I am ready to roll out from the Enfield KOA and there was a spider, a scary one at that.  It had already spun a web right near the driver's seat.  I took it's life with my super duper bug zapper.  I made it quick and sent it to spider heaven. 

 
Traffic was at a standstill and I saw this billboard.  It says..."I'd slow down if I were you."  HA!

Damn, I wish I could have taken a better shot of this sign...it says "Drive-thru Window, White Lightnin', Pappys XXX Moonshine.  I should have turned around for that.

As I travel through this area, I think of how lucky you would be if you were a Baptist.  There is a Baptist church about every mile or so. You could walk to church on Sunday and then stop by and see Pappy for a little of that shine. Hiccup! (For medicinal purposes of course!)

I am currently in Fort Mill, South Carolina after driving about 255 miles from Enfield, North Carolina today. In the next day or two I will head toward Nashville.  After that, I plan on going to Memphis to see the King's house. I can hear Paul Simon now..."I'm goin' to Graceland, Graceland, Graceland, Tennessee....."

Thank ya veray much.

I love the way people speak in North Carolina.  I started a conversation with a man in line at a grocery store yesterday just so I could hear that lovely Southern drawl.  I stopped in at a Sonic restaurant today and the nicest kid named Russell skated out on roller skates to greet me.  He was amazing at customer service, very kind and helpful.  So many people are like that here, ready to go the extra mile.

So, even with a lot of bugs and humidity, I am finding what I came to see and experience; the good in people.

Love,

Laurie

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the "good in people!" Something you can never tire of...

    ReplyDelete