Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I Love Being in Fall River

This is the place where my parents and brothers were born.  Being here with my Aunt Susan is very special. It is really important to have time with those who really know you and know your history.  Feeling connected to family and friends is a major reason for this trip.

Today was an amazing day.  My cousin Karen and I went on a really nice walk in the area of Battleship Cove in Fall River this morning.  It felt great to move my legs and chat.

  There is the ship..."Big Mamie" in the background.

History of the Battleship USS Massachusetts

USS Massachusetts (BB-59), the third of four South Dakota-class battleships built during World War II, was constructed at Bethlehem Steel Corporation's Fore River Shipyard in Quincy, Massachusetts and commissioned in 1942. USS Massachusetts saw action off of the coast of Morocco during Operation Torch, then transited the Panama Canal to participate in naval operations in the South Pacific. During 1944, USS Massachusetts played a role in the Battle of Leyte Gulf and the battles for Okinawa, Formosa (Taiwan) and the Philippines. In 1945, "Big Mamie" continued to provide anti-aircraft support for Allied forces in the Pacific.


 
 
I came back from the walk and did some RV chores and came in to check on Aunt Susan.  She was eating her lunch and watching an old movie.  I love her set-up.  So cozy....and air conditioned!

 
 
So, here is "Schumy", short for Schumacher.  He is Karen's dog and my traveling companion today on the way to the beach house at Island Park, near Fall River.  This is what I saw when I turned around.  He was sitting in the "way back" of the car....the place your father could always reach you in the station wagon if you were acting up on a long trip.  Damn, Dad's arms were long.  I remember.

 
             
 
             This is the view from the inside of the beach house.  Wow.



 
Here is Aunt Susan lounging outside the beach house.





 
This is the look the dog gave me when I caught him napping on a table between two chairs.


I took a dip in the water. It was wonderful and the water was so refreshing.   

 
I found this piece of seaweed and saw something attached to it.  It moved and then I threw it back really fast.


 
My Uncle Frank had sand brought over and he had built a small beach behind the beach house.  Nice!

 
 View from the road.  Nice...I could live here...(in the summer).


                           A perfect ending to a perfect day.  Here we are at Caravela's Restaurant. My Aunt
                           Susan, Karen and her son Ian, 15. Great Portuguese food and the best kale soup ever.

Tomorrow, shopping with my cousin Julie and then a BBQ with cousin Dan and his family.  Life is good.....no, it's GREAT.

Love,

Laurie
 

2 comments:

  1. This is Incredible!! I thought your cousin was YOU!! so cool!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got caught up on your adventures. You are having quite a trip. Have a great time with your family.

    ReplyDelete