Sunday, August 10, 2014

Fall River Clam Boil....the Real Deal

 
THANK YOU Julie and Karen for creating a wonderful day.
 

Here are the quahogs (coh-hawgs) getting a rinse.  My Aunt Susan says that quahogs are kind of tough, like a "streetwise clam".  You put them in a steaming pot and they open up.
 




Julie put me on bread duty.  Time to make the stuffing.

                                    Here is the anxious crew waiting for supper to be cooked.
Jake, Ian, Nathan and Auntie Susan.

 

 
Here are the onions and Portuguese chourico for the bread stuffing.

            Here is Karen and Julie with the fabulous Sangria.  I am paying the price today for having
                                    so much of it.  What can I say?  It's like fruit juice!

                                      
                             Sangria.... mango vodka, bubbly orange water, peach schnapps, Moscato wine
                                             and a little apple juice, then throw a lot of fruit in. Yum.


 
Here is Auntie Susan having a snack.
 

                                      
 
The meat is out, shells are being cleaned.

 
The meat gets chopped fine.  You have to...the streetwise part of the quahog is being calmed down.  Less tough now.

 

 
All the stuffed quahogs (stuffies) are put in foil and then baked. I worked really hard on tearing the pieces just so...real hard....ha ha.

 
The stuffing is ready...but wait!

 
......the secret ingredient.  Family secret. I shall not divulge the name of this magic stuff.

 
Stuffing time.  I was observing at this point.  There is a real process. You can't fall behind or else!

 
You fill the shell, then a pat of butter.

 
Now I have it down.

 
Ian, be careful.  Nathan has a big sword.  He spared his cousin's life, but I can't say the same for the apple Nathan chopped in half.

 
Nathan, Julie and Jake.

 
Almost Nathan....almost.  Give it a few weeks.

 
Okay, now the onions, potatoes, hot dogs and sausages get wrapped up in cheese cloth.

 
It all goes in the pot, add clams.  The clam boil!

 
Uncle Frank would have loved this day.  This is Julie, Karen and Dan's father.

 
Julie has wild bunnies in her yard.

 
Supper begins with Julie's husband Matt and Auntie Susan. There are the baked stuffies in the foil, waiting for me. :-)

 

 
Note the crazy amount of food, and my nearly empty wine glass...and my glassy-eyed look.  Check out the coffee cups.....one has butter and other broth.  Now it's time for steamed clams.  Check out Nathan.  He looks so much like my brother Vince when he was that age and Nathan has the same kind of personality.  Wow.
 
 
Back at Aunt Susan's house, here is the place setting she made for me.  Monogrammed and everything.  This is where we have coffee.  Look at all the fun little chotchkies. When I was sitting there I saw a book on her chair nearby and picked it up.  This is what was inside.  It was a cookbook from my Mom and Dad....Christmas 1969.

 
Cleaning up and packing today.  I hate to leave this place, but the road is a callin' and I am ready to continue the journey.
 
Love,
 
Laurie

1 comment:

  1. You have never looked lovelier. This journey agrees with you! XO

    ReplyDelete