I left Villa Park, Illinois today. THANK YOU Steve and Julie for your hospitality. It was nice meeting Karen, seeing Jeff and a special hello to Kylee and Isaac. One minute after leaving Steve and Julie's I drove right into a huge rainstorm. It was really heavy rain and the traffic was heavy as I got on the freeway. Finally, the rain stopped and I got on a nice highway in the countryside. I arrived in Indiana and I was about 60 miles from Indianapolis. I turned to get off the road for a bit and couldn't cross the expressway turning left at a stop sign, so I turned right instead. I am so glad I did. I saw a sign that said Tippecanoe...I had to check it out. I turned in and talked to Ranger Rick and they were about to close so I will go tomorrow. I am right down the road at Prophetstown State Park and they have RV sites! It is beautiful here. There are lots of trees and hiking trails. I love finding nice places by accident....or was it???? It's so much fun to go off the beaten path.
Here is the info:
Tippecanoe Battlefield
Where Two Cultures Clashed

It seems hard to believe that a wooded area seven miles north of Lafayette, Indiana, played such a major role in American history. Yet it was on this spot the Native Americans lost their grip on the fertile Midwestern lands they had roamed for thousands of years. It was also on this spot some years later that a gathering took place that helped launch the modern political campaign. That wooded area is the Tippecanoe Battlefield, a National Historic Landmark that attracts tens of thousands of visitors annually to northern Tippecanoe County.
Explore the site of The Battle of Tippecanoe. Explore the grounds where the conflict occurred. Visit vivid museum displays and discover the history of a time when two Shawnee brothers, Tecumseh and The Prophet, had a dream of uniting many tribes into an organized defense against the white settlers. Walk the battle ground where Native Americans and settlers clashed and a conflict of cultures was resolved.
I checked in at the State Park RV Campground at Prophetstown and it started raining again. Petey is so disappointed. All he could do is stare out the window at the pouring rain. He is contemplating his escape as soon as the rain stops, I'm sure.
Well, the rain stopped and I built a fire. Gnomey was the first one out of the RV and here he is poking a stick at the fire. I told him not to, but I said if he is going to do it, to not fall in for Heaven's sake!
This is the RV campsite. It is so lovely here.
After Gnomey got tired of poking at the fire, he went looking for his homey's in the woods. You know, "hangin' with his Gnomeys."
This is the only dry spot around. The humidity is something else! I am adjusting though.
I plan on taking a hike on one of the area trails in the morning. There is a farm here as well and I hope to visit there too.
Love,
Laurie
We missed this park. Wish we hadn't. There is so much history around you now. Glad the storm didn't cause any damage.
ReplyDelete